We specialise in working with start-up managers to assist in the creation of funds structures. Traditionally, people tend to set up private or experienced investor funds in Gibraltar where such structures offer flexibility and choice making them suitable for a diverse range of investment strategies.
Gibraltar has a prosperous financial services economy which is highly regulated and cost effective. Combined with political stability and a legal system which is based on UK law, Gibraltar is fast becoming recognised as a blue-chip jurisdiction for fund location.
Its membership of the European Union via its relationship with the UK – together with its fiscal advantages – has resulted in a notable shift in popularity with its ‘offshore’ counterparts. This will become increasingly apparent with the advent of further international pressures on those jurisdictions.
Advantages of Funds in Gibraltar
- Easily accessible from the whole of Europe
- Part of the EU and considered ‘onshore’
- Highly regulated fund administration: FSC
- Introduction of the experienced investor fund
- Lower cost base to traditional EU jurisdictions
- No capital gains, inheritance or wealth taxes
- No tax on income from trading listed securities
- No tax on dividends from quoted securities
- Benefits from the Parent Subsidiary Directive
- No withholding tax on payments from Gibraltar funds
- Current regulatory framework requires minimum adjustment to comply with the introduction of the Dodd-Frank Act, AIFMD and FATCA
Redomiciliation – Why Move Your Existing Fund to Gibraltar
- AIFM Directive beneficial to EU Fund jurisdictions
- Considered onshore EU Fund jurisdiction
- Competitive advantage over Caribbean jurisdictions
- Financial Services Commission: highly respected
- Broad list of jurisdictions accepted for redomiciliation
- Legal system is based upon UK common law
- Where continuity of legal status, no exit tax charge
- Established redomiciliation legislation in Gibraltar